Friday, December 1, 2017

Livid Lover releases surprise indie-pop single 'Ayla You Blow My Mind'


The singer-songwriter known as Livid Lover has released his latest rock single, an indie-pop track titled “Ayla You Blow My Mind.” The track has been dropped with an accompanying B-side, “All Reason's Leaving Now,” as well as an extended version for fans and enthusiasts. They are the first official releases from Livid Lover since his 2015 LP, “Don't Worry, I'll Always Love You … And of Course … Mess with Your Head.” Stylistically accessible, emotionally complex, and as creatively colorful as fans of Livid Lover have come to expect, “Ayla You Blow My Mind” is a single to remind us that contemporary pop can still bring depth and texture into the 21st century.

Livid Lover is the stage name of Blake Nolan Hanson. Hanson is also known for his work with Halo Minor, whose 2015 EP “Further Now You're Close” features Derek Abrams of Ministry on drums. Hanson cites as main artistic influences a broad spectrum of legends including Stevie Wonder, Sia, the Mars Volta, Failure, the Year Of The Rabbit, Flood, Bjork, Deftones, and Massive Attack.

Also notable on “Ayla...” are the talents of Devin Tomczik, who provided drums and percussion which drive the music and lend palpable adrenaline and power.

Fans of power-pop bands like Big Star and the Plimsouls, as well as those of alternative-rock crews like Stone Temple Pilots and Smashing Pumpkins, are likely to find much to appreciate in “Ayla You Blow My Mind” by Livid Lover. “Ayla...” blends acoustic minimalism in its production with unexpected yet effective chord progressions. Livid Lover's raw vocals bespeak an underlying blues principle, his lyric style on “Ayla...” and its B-side, “All Reason's...” venturing into the narrative mode of bluegrass.

This makes sense, as the Minneapolis native has since migrated to the American music hotbed of Nashville.

“Nashville has reinforced in me the importance of the lyric and storytelling,” writes Livid Lover. “I would not have written this single had it not been for the move. Any given night, one can find top-level writers performing. It's just ridiculous. Humbling and eye opening as well.”

While music from Livid Lover does boast a level of maturity beyond typical “bubblegum” pop standards, Hanson, himself, does not wax proud. In fact, he dislikes taking credit for even his solo work.

“[Who writes my songs?] The multi-verse. My background in studying songwriting helps me collaborate with that infinite intelligence.”

He also helps fans understand his creative process in terms of a purposeful aural awareness.

“I gravitate to what sounds beautiful in my ears and try my best to put together what I can with what I feel I am good at doing. I want those who take time to listen to what I and my lovely collaborators do to have a unique experience. I really just want to become a super version of this weird thing inhabiting my body, and I want to see a huge shift in consciousness take place soon.”

Of no small interest, too, is Livid Lover's unique method of self-motivation. This notably included the ultimatum of a donation to the Westboro Baptist Church, known for its use of inflammatory hate speech in the media. The artist could not allow himself to fail.

“It was part of a list of tasks to activate a quantum leap in my artist career,” Hanson explains. “My penalty for non-completion was a $50.00 check written to the Westboro Baptist Church. (Not my idea, but a great one to motivate me, I thought). This nine-day list had, like, five YouTube vids to post, a complete demo of 'Ayla...' 90% done, and some other uncomfortable things. Tiring week, but it all got done. Westboro got $0 from me, I found the exciting chorus, and I was able to send the song to the one who inspired it on her birthday as a gift.”

Music aficionados have similar reasons to celebrate. Songwriting like that of Livid Lover is a gift to music, itself, and to audiophiles everywhere.

“Ayla You Blow My Mind” by Livid Lover is available from over 600 quality digital music retailers online worldwide now. Get in early.

An official music video for “Ayla You Blow My Mind” is also expected soon.

-S. McCauley
Lead Press Release Writer


“Ayla You Blow My Mind” by Livid Lover –

Official Website –


No comments:

Post a Comment