Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Music prodigy Sam Levin releases debut EP 'I'm in Here'


The 12-year-old singer and songwriter known as Sam Levin has released his debut EP album, “I'm in Here.” The album comprises five original and previously unreleased tracks for an approximate total listening time of 20 minutes, making for a satisfying introduction to this rapidly rising star from New York City. It has been published on the Clarence Productions independent music label. Upbeat, soulful, startlingly introspective and based on pure rock and roll principles, “I'm in Here” is an EP everyone should be paying attention to, and for several reasons.

“This year while I was writing and recording these songs I listened to a lot of Counting Crows, JJ Grey & Mofro, Galactic, and John Scofield,” writes Levin, whose new record has been anticipated by two singles, October 2012's “I Sure Hope Not,” and “Being With You Is Easy,” which appeared a year later.

Naturally, a great deal of change can be heard over the first two years of Levin's music career. His first single sounds not unlike a happier Jack Johnson, while “Being With You Is Easy” feels decidedly Beatles-esque. Now, having recorded a full five tracks over the last year, complete with backup vocals, layered harmonies, varied instrumentation and truly thought-provoking lyrics, it seems that Levin isn't just ready for the public eye and ear – he's already there.

“I saw an electric guitar hanging on the wall of a music shop when I was five years old,” he writes, “and knew that's what I wanted to do. And when I got a loop pedal, that's when things really changed. I started to compose music and I became a songwriter.”

Songwriting isn't the half of it, however. Listeners who expect music clearly written by a middle-school student will be utterly shocked at how engaging Levin's themes and artistic interests can be. “Look at Me,” for instance, is an aggressive castigation of social media showing a generation of people too fascinated with Twitter and Facebook, etc., who argue that they need online followers and subscribers because as Levin sarcastically puts it, “How else will I know I'm alive?”

Speaking of other topics he discusses on his record, Sam writes:

“Well, each song has its own message. 'I'm In Here' says that even though we all act or think differently from one another, deep down we are all just people with feelings who want the same things. I plan on donating the money I make from this song to a charity that helps children with autism.

“'On My Way to You' is about how life is full of stress and things we have to do and places we have to go, but there is always comfort in returning home.

“'Why Not' is about all of the awful things that powerful people do that hurt the planet and the people, just so they can have more money. It's obvious those things should change, but they don't, and I can't figure out why not.

“'Jam on A' is about finding something you love to do to get through hard times. For me that's playing music with my family and friends.”

Sam Levin writes, sings, and plays guitar, piano, bass guitar, saxophone, and drums and percussion. He performs pop, rock, jazz, blues, funk, and Latin music, and often blends these sounds for a result that approaches alternative. He studies music and music theory at the Lagond School in Elmsford, NY. When not releasing official singles and records, Levin enjoys video and board games, makes short films, and reads fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels, and Game Informer.

His artist's bio concludes with the amusing fact that he is “not really a big eater; he eats because he has to.”

“I'm in Here” by Sam Levin is available online worldwide. Fans of musical genius everywhere should get in early.

-S. McCauley
Lead Press Release Writer
www.MondoTunes.com

I'm in Here” by Sam Levin –


Website -

No comments:

Post a Comment